Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Of sagging eaves and rot

We always had this one spot on the eaves on the NE corner of the master bedroom's bay windows that had a sag in it, there are other sag points also but not as bad as this one, and water and ice always accumulated in this spot, I always feared a problem in that spot, and so I removed the siding from that spot, only to discover rot!


it may not look that bad in that photo, the beadboard is all puffed out and the rot extends quite a bit of the way...
and not to mention all the rotted wood bits that rained down on me when I removed those panels of siding.




Thankfully the other immediate parts of this area seem to be fine, except for where the water trickled along the grooves of the beadboard and caused the paint to fail (this is on the north side I might add)

Note in the following picture that there are 2 layers of paint, one from 1900 and the other from 1923. The house was always painted white to my knowledge and the Victorian white paint was more of an off-white color it would seem than the newer white?! I'm no expert on old paint and colors, perhaps someone who knows more about this could chime in. However I found it intriguing to say the least. 



Being the perfectionist and the purist that I am for restoration, the damaged section will be replaced with new wood beadboard just like the original.

And when I had removed the bit of siding, the wood was sopping wet, however once it was removed the wood dried almost immediately! And through several torrential downpours, this section which always had a knack for attracting water suddenly was no longer a hotspot for water!!

Such a shame this wonderful old growth beadboard was destroyed by 30 years of rot thanks to siding!!

No comments:

Post a Comment